COVID 19 Notices

  • The Town Recycling Site remains OPEN  regular business hours (Saturdays 9-4) at this time, and until further notice


Town Board Meetings

Meetings are typically held on the third Thursday of each month at 7:30PM at the Portland Town Hall.  If you wish to have an item placed on the agenda, please contact the Town Chairperson or Town Clerk no later than the second Thursday of that month. 

Meeting Fees

These non- refundable fees must be paid BEFORE a meeting or hearing will be scheduled.

        Special Town Board Meeting.......$250.00

        Town Plan Commission/Board of Appeals Meeting.......$350.00

Voting Information

Elections are conducted at the Portland Town Hall located at W11720 Taylor St.  All electors must have a current voter registration application on file prior to voting and must provide proof of identification at the polls.  Contact Town Clerk Nancy Thompson (920-478-3724), the Wisconsin Elections Commission Website, or the Elections Commission Help Desk at 608-261-2028 for more information.  

Zoning Regulations

Anyone purchasing or selling property in the Town of Portland should contact the Town Chairperson or one of the Town Supervisors for information about Town zoning regulations that affect the property. 

The Town's Zoning Ordinance was last updated in 2011.  A copy of the updated ordinance can be purchased from Town Clerk Nancy Thompson.   The Town's Comprehensive Plan was updated in 2015.  That plan is posted on the Town's website.

Building Permits

UPDATED 2-23-20

 Effective March 1, 2020, all building permits and inspections for the Town of Portland will now be provided by General Engineering Company.  Permit applications, fee amounts, and questions should be directed to Building Inspector Dion Okeson (  He can also be reached by telephone or text at  608-697-3737. 

Any person wishing to have a one or two-family residence constructed or a mobile/manufactured home or other residential dwelling moved onto a Town site must secure a building permit from General Engineering Company (608-745-4070) prior to initiating such project.   Follow-up inspection by General Engineering personnel is also required.  If a driveway is needed, it must be completed and approved before any associated building permit will be issued.  (See driveway permit information below.)

Anyone failing to secure any required building and/or driveway permit(s) prior to  beginning any new construction or remodeling project is subject to a Town fine.

Driveway Permits

Any individual needing to have a driveway installed must obtain a driveway permit (which currently costs $150.00) from Richard Yelk (920-927-3627 or 920-988-0855).  


Road Easements


Due to the Town's ever-increasing liability exposure, Town roadway easements will be enforced.  Crops kept less than thirty-three (33) feet back from the centerline of a road will be cut.

Burning Regulations/Wood-Fired Furnaces


Any person wishing to burn any leaves, grass, brush, clean wood, or other vegetative debris must secure a burning permit from the Town Chairperson or one of the Town Supervisors and then call the Dodge County Dispatcher (920-386-3726) before lighting the fire.  There is no fee for obtaining a burning permit.


 Anyone wanting to install an outdoor wood-fired furnace must obtain a permit (which currently costs $100.00) from Richard Yelk (920-927-3627 or 920-988-0855) prior to ordering the furnace.  The Town Board reserves the right to designate the location for any such furnace, and it must have an appropriate length of stack.  No short stacks are allowed.

Dog Licenses


All dogs (including house dogs) five (5) months of age or older must be licensed.    Current licensing fees and required application forms can be obtained from Town Treasurer Carleen Benninger (920-927-5244).  A current rabies certificate must also be provided before any dog license will be issued.


Households with more than four (4) dogs must apply for a kennel license by providing Treasurer Benninger with current rabies certificates for all the dogs, along with a $50.00 kennel license fee.  She will then present the kennel application to the Town Board for consideration and possible approval at its next monthly meeting.

Stray Animals


The Town of Portland utilizes the Fond du Lac Humane Society for stray DOG services.   A Town resident must secure permission from a Town Board member prior to asking the Fond du Lac Humane Society to pick up any stray dog(s).  Without such prior authorization, the dog(s) will not be accepted.


Recycling Site Regulations and Fees


The Town recycling site, located on Witt Lane, is for the use of Town of Portland residents only and is typically open from 9:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. each Saturday.  Town residents are required to sign in each time they use the site.


 A listing of the items that are accepted at the site, as well as those items that will not be accepted, is available from recycling site attendant Joseph Pantely (920-219-0903).

     Current fees for permitted non-recyclable materials are as follows:

          $  1.00 per 15-gallon trash bag

          $  2.00 per 30-gallon trash bag

          $  4.00 per 55-gallon trash bag/barrel

          $25.00 per level pickup load of loose materials

          $40.00 per full pickup load of loose materials


     Current fees for disposing of items listed below are as follows:

Paint Cans                                                 $ 1.00 each

Tires (depending on size and type):   $  2.00 - $60.00 each

Any appliance containing Freon:       $  30.00 each

Any appliance without Freon:             $  5.00 each

Televisions                                                $ .50 per pound

Large/ "stuffed" chair                           $ 10.00 each

Sofa/couch                                               $20.0 each 


A clean area is available for dumping stones, cement blocks, bricks, and other similar items if approved in advance by the site attendant.  A “clean burn pit” is also available for burning raw wood and brush.


State law bans placement of oil filters in the ground.  Such filters may be taken to the recycling center, but they are not to be commingled with anything else.  Instead, they should be given to the recycling center attendant for disposal.

*Page updated 2/2020


© 2018 Town of Portland, WI

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now